Dr Govindans Hospital was started by Dr S Govindan FRCS, who served in the Travancore Cochin and Kerala Health Services from the year 1936. When the Medical College, Thiruvananthapuram was started in 1951 he was appointed as Associate Professor of Surgery. He also served as Prof. of Surgery, Medical College Kozhikode.
This hospital was started in 1966 as the City Nursing Home and from the beginning it was open to other eminent doctors of the time to admit and treat their patients. Dr C Achuthan Pillai (retired Professor of Medicine), Dr R Kesavan Nair(retired Professor of Surgery), Dr G Jayasimhan( retired Professor of Surgery),
Dr N Balsalam(retired Professor of Surgery), Dr Sankararaman(Superintendent,SAT Hospital), were some of the stalwarts of yesteryear whose expertise graced this hospital.
Over the years the hospital came to be known as a centre for Obstetrics and Gynaecology, 24hr emergency care for all people in surrounding localities, as well as for expert care in different specialities.
- To provide appropriate and up to date treatment and advice to all patients who request our services
- To consider the patient’s well-being as of utmost importance
- To give the patient’s autonomy its due
- To carry out our activities as efficiently as possible
- To maintain a safe environment for staff and patients alike
- In 1966 this hospital was started by Dr S Govindan as ‘The City Nursing Home’ with Surgery, Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Psychiatry as specialties.
- The first hospital in the non-Government sector in Trivandrum.
- 1967 the first private X-ray unit in the city
- 1975 recognised under MTP Act.
- 1975 Surgery department headed by Dr P L Rishi retired Professor of Surgery, Jaipur.
- 1992 Obstetric and Gynaecologic department under full time Gynaecologist
- 1995 Labour room and Operation Theatre renovation done
- 1997 Critical Care Unit started
- 2003 Dialysis unit started
- 2005 Orthopaedic theatre commissioned
- 2011 School of Nursing started.